Vortex Energy is a 100% subsidiary of Vitol, and is a leading renewable energy company in Poland. To date, it has delivered over 400 MW of operational renewable generation capacity in wind and solar and has a development pipeline of over 3 GW. Vitol will initiate construction of over 120 MW of PV solar and onshore wind projects in the next 12 months and plans to deploy $1 bn of capital over the next 5 years into renewables in Poland and expand the business into the wider region.
This is Vitol’s first major investment in renewable power in Europe and is aligned with its strategy of investing in the energy transition and growing its sustainable business activities. It is expected that Vortex will grow to become Vitol’s renewable energy investment platform in Central Eastern and South Europe.
Overview of Vitol
Vitol is a leader in the energy sector with a presence across the spectrum: from oil through to power, renewables and carbon. It trades 7 million barrels per day of crude oil and products, and charters around 6,650 ship voyages every year.
Vitol’s clients include national oil companies, multinationals, leading industrial and chemical companies and the world’s largest airlines. Founded in Rotterdam in 1966, today Vitol serves clients from some 40 offices worldwide and is invested in energy assets globally including: circa 16mm3 of storage across seven continents, 480kbpd of refining capacity and more than 6,500 service stations across Africa, Australia, Asia, Brazil and Europe. Vitol has committed $1.5bn to renewable investments over the last number of months and has 1,200 MW in operation across US and Asia. Revenues in 2021 was in excess of $279bn. For more information please visit: https://www.vitol.com/
Our people are our business. It is our people’s expertise, innovation, drive and relationships that develop and grow our business. Talent is precious to us and we create an environment in which we believe individuals can reach their full potential, unfettered by hierarchy.
Vortex has a flat, meritocratic organisational structure, which encourages an entrepreneurial and collaborative approach, with everyone primarily focused on delivering results, and delivering them efficiently and safely while maintaining strong and talent enabling team culture.
You will be working with the CEO and CFO and responsible for the key commercial activities in the organization in relation to investments, M&A, development, the commercialization of projects and any divestments. You will also be responsible for leading the commercial team of commercial managers and analysts, and providing training and oversight. You will also be expected to embed commercial thinking and training throughout the rest of the Vortex organization. Finally, you will assist with the budget and business plan preparations to set the strategic direction of the business through the coming years.
The successful candidate will be responsible for:
· Leading all the commercial structuring for RtB projects including but not limited to 1) The commercial aspects of the construction contracts 2) PPA (working with PPA Director) 3) RtM agreement (working with the PPA Director) 4) Project financing (as relevant)
· Originate deals (projects & portfolios) and partnerships across Poland to help deliver M&A projects
· Assess deal/project opportunities from early to late stage, portfolio / platform opportunities, including teasers, models, IMs, due diligence reports, etc.
· Leading commercial deal structuring, due diligence, project modelling (with assistance from financial analysts), document negotiation
· Writing/leading on internal investment papers for M&A investments
· Leading and managing financial analysis for FID decisions and project finance decisions
· Leading and managing internal presentations for FID decisions & project financing decisions
· Embedding and training the development and construction teams in thinking commercially about development and construction decisions and investment decisions
· Work with CEO and CFO to help prepare the annual budget and business plan from a commercial perspective
· Oversee and train financial / commercial analysts
· Develop /assess commercial opportunities for grid connections (special economic zones, cable pooling opportunities, economic analysis)
· Assess / form strategic JV and partnerships in the market (as appropriate)
· Look at storage and hybrid opportunities to assess their viability and how to execute the strategy
· Analyse offshore opportunities across Poland and the region
· Develop and lead on opportunities in new markets to build leading regional IPP
· Liaise and work closely with Vitol Team and Vitol portfolio companies to identify and deliver additional synergies across/through the range of Vitol businesses (trading, EV, etc)
Qualifications and Experience
· Ideally, postgraduate degree in a technical / financial discipline with an outstanding academic record
· Experience working in renewables, energy or infrastructure investment space is a preference
· A minimum of 10 years’ experience in a top-tier global financial institution, private equity fund or renewable energy fund/IPP, ideally focusing on the energy space across the value chain – notably in renewables, grid, power generation, EV and mobility space (ideally cross the spectrum of renewables technologies: onshore wind, offshore wind, solar PV, hydrogen and/or battery storage).
· Strong quantitative, analytical skills, excel and power point capabilities
· Experience in industry due-diligence, economic modelling and financial modelling
· Experience in creating and managing strategic investment initiatives including commercialization of investment opportunities
· Experience in leading commercial negotiations and contract structuring for a variety of commercial, construction and investment/partnership contracts
· Participation in investment banking or accounting training program
· Understanding of regional and global energy markets preferred
· Experience in the above areas outside of Poland also desirable
· Fluent in Polish and English
· Strong technical and analytical skills
· Strong leadership skills and ability to lead and train a team
· Great attention to detail with strong strategic and business growth oriented mindset
· Able to work under pressure, meet deadlines and multi-task in a fast-paced environment
· Highly motivated and able to flourish in a high-commitment environment - we are looking for a self-starter with an entrepreneurial spirit
· Humility: humble, down-to-earth and eager to learn
· Enthusiastic and willing to contribute wherever it is needed
· Results oriented, disciplined, able to synthesize detailed information
· Team player, with an open non-political style and a high level of personal integrity
· First-class communicator
Market leading remuneration with both short- and long-term incentives are on offer. Please share your CV with Mint selection for immediate review.